Recently I have seen more patients with kidney stones. So I have decided to give you the data as to why the stones are formed. Here it is: Eating more Carbohydrates (Sugar) and less protein causes your stomach to become less acidic which makes it less likely that minerals such as calcium will be fully digested and absorbed. The problem is made worse by using calcium carbonate supplements like One-A-Day and Centrum or taking antacids with calcium carbonate like TUMS (Do not take TUMS!). When you have low acid in your stomach calcium will end up as kidney stones. Many of you with these stones will also have some kind of digestive issue like acid reflux.
There are basically two types of stones in the Kidneys: Carbonate Stones and Urate Stones. Carbonate stones are easier to get rid of. Urate stones are tougher and harder to get rid of. Here are some diet recommendations:
- Drink at least 10 full glasses of distilled water daily with one quarter of a fresh squeezed lemon in each glass. Do this for one month.
- Eliminate all refined carbohydrates (sugar) and fried foods.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine containing foods (colas, tea, chocolate, coffee)
- Limit dairy products and grains (except rice).
- Limit juice intake especially when fortified with calcium.
- Please talk to me ASAP. I will discuss a nutritional supplement program for you.