Shoulder Anatomy, Shoulder Problems and How Chiropractic Can Help
Today, let’s go over some more information on chiropractic care and your shoulder. By understanding the anatomy of the shoulder, it’s easier to see why chiropractic can help with any problems in this area.
The muscles of the shoulder are often involved in shoulder problems. These are the SITS muscles:
- Supraspinatus at the top of the back near the shoulder
- Infraspinatus below the shoulder blade
- Teres minor under the shoulder near the armpit
- Subscapularis which sits in front of the shoulder blade itself
- Deltoid which covers the outside of the shoulder and upper arm
The Bones Involved in Shoulder Function
Now let’s look at the bones of the shoulder. There’s the clavicle, also known as the collarbone, in the front of the body. In the back, you have the scapula, also known as the shoulder blade. Next is the humerus or the bone in the upper arm. Finally, there’s the sternum or breastbone in the middle of the chest.
These bones are connected to each other in a series of joints that all relate to the shoulder and its functions. These are:
- The sternoclavicular joint where the sternum meets the clavicle or collarbone.
- The acromioclavicular joint where the clavicle meets a specially shaped area on the shoulder blade. Sometimes shoulder separations occur right at this point.
- The glenohumeral joint where the top of the humerus fits into a kind of a half cup at the end of the shoulder blade
- The scapulothoracic joint which is more of a kind of a muscle gliding joint. It’s not a joint in the true sense, but it has some of the same qualities because there’s some movement that happens with the scapula in regards to movement in the rib cage.
If you compare the range of motion and amount of motion in these joints, there’s much more motion in the glenohumeral joint at the top of the arm than the scapulothoracic joint between the scapula and rib cage.
Chiropractic and Pressure Point Therapy Can Help
Each of these joints can develop problems and these problems can restrict the range of motion in the shoulder. So that’s where chiropractic care and Pressure Point Therapy come in.
If you’re having some problems with the range of motion of your shoulder or you know somebody that has some problems with the range of motion with their shoulder, they’re going to need chiropractic care and some Pressure Point Therapy.
If you have some problems with your shoulder, contact us and let us explain to you how we can help you. We’d love to help get you moving well again.